The ribosome is a large ribo-nucleoprotein complex with total molecular mass of 2 500 000 Dalton in bacteria and 3 300 000 Dalton in yeast. Several components contribute to the greater weight and complexity of eukaryotic ribosomes: RNA expansion segments that are inserted into the evolutionary conserved rRNA core and additional 25 proteins. The ribosome performs protein synthesis using a messenger RNA template. It mediates the interactions between mRNAs and tRNAs and it catalyses the peptide bond formation. Our group has developed methods for x-ray study of bacterial 70S ribosome from the extreme thermophilic microorganism Thermus thermophilus and recently for the 80S ribosome from the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The goal of our group is to study structure and mechanism of protein biosynthesis in bacteria, yeast and humans.
1. Mechanism of protein biosynthesis based on crystal structure determination of the ribosome functional complexes.
2. Structure determination of the yeast ribosome and its complexes.
3. Structure determination of the human ribosome and its complexes.
- Dr. Pascale Romby, Institut de biologie moléculaire et cellulaire du CNRS, Strasbourg, France
- Prof. Eric Westhof, Institut de biologie moléculaire et cellulaire du CNRS, Strasbourg, France
- Prof. Ermanno Candolfi , Institut de parasitologie-mycologie et pathologie tropicale, Faculté de médecine de Strasbourg, France
- Dr. Yves Mechulam, L'École Polytechnique, Biology depart, Palaiseau, France
- Prof. Christian Spahn, Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
- Prof. Marina Rodnina, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen, Germany
- Dr. Daniel Wilson , Gene Center Munich, Department of Biochemistry, Munich, Germany
- Prof. Roland Beckmann, Gene Center Munich, Department of Biochemistry, Munich, Germany
Dr. Karissa Sanbonmatsu , Los Alamos National Laboratory
Theoretical Division, USA
- Prof. Tatyana Pestova, Department of Cell Biology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
- Dr. Thomas E. Dever, Section on Protein Biosynthesis, Laboratory of Eukaryotic Gene Regulation, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
- Marat YUSUPOV - Silver medal - CNRS - 2012
- Marat YUSUPOV - Program grant - Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) - 2012
- Marat YUSUPOV - Gregori Aminoff Prize - Académie royale suédoise des sciences - 2012
- Marat YUSUPOV - Emile Jungfleisch Prize - Institut de France de l'Académie des Sciences - 2011
- Marat YUSUPOV - ERC Advanced grant - European Research Council (ERC) - 2011
- Marat YUSUPOV - Member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) - European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) - 2009
- July 4, 2013 - Nicolas Garreau de Loubresse, lauréat du prix AXA-Académie de Sciences
- April 16, 2012 - Two IGBMC researchers awarded by HFSP
- March 31, 2012 - Aminoff prize 2012
- March 21, 2012 - Decoding life: the underside of ribosome
- Jan. 24, 2012 - IGBMC, an institute of excellence awarded by the European research council (ERC)
- Nov. 25, 2010 - Crystal structure of the eucaryotic ribosome
Annu Rev Biochem Feb. 21, 2014 .
Curr Opin Struct Biol Feb. 10, 2014 .
FEBS Lett June 27, 2013 ; 587:1848-57 .
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A March 5, 2013 ; 110:3812-6 .
"Biophysical Approaches to Translational Control of Gene Expression". 2013 ; 1:1-25 .
Curr Opin Struct Biol Dec 2012 ; 22:759-67 .
Nat Struct Mol Biol June 5, 2012 ; 19:560-7 .
Nature March 21, 2012 .
Ribosomes. Structure Function and Dynamics 2011 ; :75-81 .
Ribosomes. Structure, Function, and Dynamics 2011 ; :45-55 .